Thoughts from Central Texas, random as they can be, offering insight into the unknown. Or just whatever I feel like posting at any given time.

3.2.05

What is in a name...

So I was helping my buddy Matthew last night work on a Sonnet. This was for a class project that he was doing. A sonnet is a fourteen-line poem in iambic pentameter with a carefully patterned rhyme scheme. I really just wanted to write iambic pentameter. Iambic pentameter is just a fun word to say and write. You know those specifically structured lines of prose composed of 3 quatrains and a couplet each line having ten syllables. Well I started one with the topic of Call of Duty. COD for all you FPS gamers out there. I was doing well until I forgot the whole ten syllable part. Anyway, he came up with a sonnet worthy of Shakespearean praise on his own with which to tantalize the literary senses of his teacher, or not. However, the experience reminded me of a time when I had to write sonnets for some school project or something. SO I thought I would try and complete a sonnet for the blog. Here it goes:

The Random Ramble

A random sonnet wrote 'bout love and truth;
Many nice things believed by young and old;
Yet so often there appears traits uncouth;
Something so bright and warm growing dark, cold.

So many people strive to attain it;
Blood, sweat, tears shed on its long winding path;
Trial after trial resulting in "I quit;"
Lives shattered by the journey's aftermath.

O', why the subjection to all this pain;
Is it meant such a forbidden desire;
Can this destruction be for any gain;
Through all this struggle remains burning fire.

In the end, it is sure worth all the cost;
Once true love abounds, it is never lost.

Cheesy, I'll agree. I'll kick it around some and see what else I can rattle out of my head. Since most sonnets are centered around the topics of faith and love, I thought I would start there and branch out.

Git R dun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home